Wednesday, February 9, 2011

To Teach in a Foreign Country?

YES. Do it. If you have the opportunity, it is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I have been in Rome, Italy since the beginning of January. TCNJ has a unique program that allows Education majors to complete half of their student teaching overseas and I immediately jumped at the opportunity.

A long and arduous application process many months later and… here I am! A true Roman… kind of. There is nothing like spending two months in a foreign country to make you realize how hard communication can be when you don’t speak the same language as most people around you, and need to communicate using hand gestures that you silently pray are not rude or obscene.

My student teaching placement is in a 3rd grade classroom at an American school here in Rome, and even if you feel as though you have experienced diversity within a classroom, you probably haven’t seen what I have. There are 22 children in my class, only half of which are native to Italy. The remaining half comes from the United States, Egypt, Israel, India, and China. Only the English language is permitted within the classroom because some of the children are still learning it, but the languages native to the various students are Italian, English, Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, and Hindi. On my third day in the classroom, it was a child’s birthday and I listened to the “Happy Birthday” song in English, Italian, Arabic, French, Hebrew, Spanish, and Chinese. It was one of those eye-opening experiences that gave me goosebumps and made me realize just how lucky I am to be able to experience all of this.

While the variation of English language skills in the classroom ranges from late kindergarten to 11th grade, I have not yet found teaching the children in English to be that challenging. There are a handful of students who leave the classroom daily for ELL, and I have to be careful not to talk too quickly, but the children are all wonderful and have a passion for learning that you don’t really get to see that often. Occasionally, they will have one of those moments where they slap their hand to their forehead and go, “Ohh…uhhh… ummm, Miss Gargiulo, what is the word for ‘[insert Italian word here]?” or “Miss Gargiulo, how do you say [insert Italian word here] ?” When this happens, I try to exercise the little bit of Italian I know or ask one of the students around us, who usually seem to know the answer.

To say the least, it has been an adventure and an experience that I know I will never forget. I will be sad to go but will be walking away with a newfound appreciation for those children who are bi- or tri-lingual and have acquired more language skills in their lifetime than I could ever hope to obtain.

-Katie G.

2 comments:

  1. One of the hardest time management tasks for English secondary or Education + English majors is a term abroad. Your schedules are so packed with requirements that a semester out of the country seems unworkable. One solution is a summer abroad, but another is student teaching abroad. Check out if you are interested.

    Diane Steinberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me try again to post the webpage for global student teaching -- it is at http://www.tcnj.edu/~educat/globalteaching/index.html

    ReplyDelete