Monday, February 7, 2011

To Nominate?

In preparation for what is likely to be a very heated penny war, Professor Steinberg is accepting nominations for Sigma Tau Delta's annual 24-hour Marathon Reading. The first ten nominations will enter the competition. Thus far, we have received three nominations:

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K Rowling

Unhappy with the selection so far? Nominate your choice! Stop by Professor Steinberg's office in Bliss 205 with $5 to propose your pick!

7 comments:

  1. Woo! My vote is for Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that! Harry Potter would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the Fountainhead would be epic to read out loud.. especially Roark's insane speech! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. English Department Chair, Professor David Blake offered the following information regarding nominations:

    You might be interested in commemorating one of the following anniversaries:

    150 years ago (1861):
    - Elizabeth Barrett Browning dies, 29 June.
    - Charles Dickens' Great Expectations published.
    - George Eliot's Silas Marner published.

    200 years ago (1811)
    - Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility published.


    Here are others:

    http://philobiblos.blogspot.com/2011/01/literary-anniversaries-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. THE FOUNTAINHEAD!!! I love HP, but I wouldn't want to read the last book out loud and ruin it for anyone passing who hasn't gotten through the series yet.

    Although I think Great Expectations is a good choice too. It's long, celebrating an anniversary, and I haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there any way that I can submit negative money for the Fountainhead? So that I don't have to listen to it? Ever?

    ReplyDelete